Last July we got 3 little pigs. We got them to raise for meat. My parents, Katie and Cuyler, and us are planning to split them up between the 3 of our families.
In July they were quite cute. But by the time they got to be this big they were far from 'cute'!
They got out and went across the street in the neighbors field, Josh and I had to chase them all over to get them back in. (it was mostly Josh doing the chasing)
One was a male so Wyatt, Cuyler, Josh and my Dad had to do surgery to make him 'not male' (; because for some reason the hormones or something ruin the meat. ? anyway...
one pig got cut with barb wire and so Cuyler had to stitch it up. Get this he watched a 'you tube' video on how to stitch a pig!
what else.....?
I can't think of anything else right now, but definitely a learning experience this first time around.
If you recall Josh and I were the ones with the land so we got the privilege of keeping them at our house. It became my job to feed them everyday and night. (Josh would do it on the weekends and the nights when I hadn't done it yet.) -but 90% of the time it was my job. Even though I swore i wouldn't go out in the freezing cold.
The original plan was to butcher them ourselves because we have access to a place to do it. and to save money on doing it ourselves. -when i say ourselves i mean the men. I would have no part in that and i stuck with it unlike going out in the cold.- But when it came down to doing it ourselves i was heartbroken listening to how they planned to kill the pigs. Josh said you just stab it in the heart and let it bleed out. My dad said you just shoot it right in the end of its nose and it dies immediately. Both ways sounded aweful!
Was i attached? did i love them? was i going to miss them?
no, not really. but i didn't want them to die like that.
I concluded that the reason i was sad to see them go was because of the whole 'you learn to love who you serve'. it sounds funny but i thought about those pigs everyday. i saw them everyday. I fed them everyday. Days that i would forget to go out in the evenings and remember at 10 pm, I would go out in negative degree weather to feed them because i didn't want them to be hungry. Now thats sacrifice!
ANYWAY. haha, this is such a funny post. about pigs, no less. But i guess thats what i get for living out here, it becomes about 'the pigs'.
well we ended up taking them to a butcher to have it done professionally because it was cheaper then we thought and it was worth it to the men not to have to do it. We should be getting the meat tomorrow and i hope i don't have a hard time eating it. i just can't be think about it, i guess.
anybody want to come over for dinner?
:D

This is a funny post!!! The killing does sound pretty terrible... and I didn't feed them everyday. You are awesome Jill! Living the dream :)
ReplyDeleteEw. Now I think I'll go throw out our bacon and throw up.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up we had things that we raised and my dad killed for the meat. Rabbits & chickens mainly. It was hard on the kids because we grew to love them as pets. But we never knew when my mom cooked them. I would come for dinner and it wouldn't bother me at all, course I didn't serve them. Aren't you the gal that didn't want to live in the country? Way to sacrifice for the ones you love.
ReplyDeleteLove Aunt Colleen