20.5.11

Emergency, Emergency

First of all this is going to be long, really long I just have to warn you. Brock had a little bit of a scary weekend. It all started on Friday night, about 6 or 7 he started to get really fussy and would let out these high pitch screeches. And then he started throwing up. He threw up 2 times Friday night. And just tossed and turned all night. He would cry a little bit throughout the night but he didn’t want to be held, he was restless and uncomfortable. Saturday morning he woke up, I changed his diaper and Josh asked if that was blood in his poop. I said no, it just has a red tint to it. And then he went back to sleep. Again he would stir a lot and wasn’t comfortable. But he slept until noon or so. Which is out of the ordinary. I changed his diaper again, this time it looked more like blood. And it had mucus stuff with it. And he had thrown up a couple times that day too. So it was Saturday so I called the ‘on call nurse’ to see if I should take him in. She didn’t seem to be to worried but she said we should take him in. She suspected e coli. So because we had been outside working we had to all shower and get ready to go to Logan. My mom came and got Leah, Garrett wanted to go with us. 3:00 - We got to Urgent care. It was the cheaper co-pay. And waited. The Dr. there wanted to try a few things. First she took samples from the diaper we brought in to have an example to see if it was in fact blood. And sure enough it was. They put a little bag around his bum so they could have a sample of the blood and mucus. She gave Brock anti nausea pill to take and asked me to feed him again. He puked that up immediately. So we waited some more. Then she wanted me to try feeding him one more time. Once again I get puked on. She checked the bag and there was a lot of blood and it was straight blood now no more poop with it. So she sent us over to the emergency room.

5:30 – We get to the ER and they got us right in. They started talking to us about what it could be. They mentioned a intussusception. They said it would be pretty serious, they didn’t think that is what it was but they wanted to rule it out. They said we would be there a couple hours. At that point Garrett was restless, so Josh took him home. He met my mom half way and brought me a change of clothes. While they were gone they took Brock and I back for an ultrasound to check for a intussusception. That’s what it was! The Dr. at the urgent care had suspected that but didn’t tell us because she didn’t know for sure. They hooked up an IV. Then the Dr. came in and told us all about an intussusception. Its where the intestine goes inside itself. Which causes the intestine to swell up and get blocked off. What they would do is an air inama, where they would put an air tube up his bum and try to get it to straighten out. If it didn’t work they would have to do surgery. He hadn’t ever seen it go to surgery. So we were hopeful. But there was more. They could do the air inama at the Logan hospital but they couldn’t do the surgery and they had to do both. Which meant Primary Childrens, which meant they wanted us to take an ambulance for our safety. That’s about when Josh walked back in and got to hear all the news.

8:00 – We loaded the ambulance. Josh drove down behind us. I called a lady from Primary and told her I wouldn’t be there the next day. And Josh called the rest of the family.
10:30 – we were in getting the air inama. They did a live x-ray of his little intestines. They strapped him to this board and put the air tube up his little bum. It was so sad. They were able to get it most of the way but she didn’t think she got it all the way out, but she wasn’t sure. So that meant surgery. The whole day Brock was just trying to sleep. In between every Dr looking at him he would sleep.
12:00 midnight – He went in for surgery where they were able to get the last section untwisted and they took out his appendix, while they were in there. I am sure it was so routine, they just did it. Which I didn’t really want. But it was all red, swollen, and irritated. Which would cause problems later anyway. 2:30 – We went to see our baby in recovery. He was just waking up from surgery. He was very sad looking. He was groggy and had a tube up his nose. 3:00 - got to our room and settled. The nurses and everyone had to come in and do all there stuff.
4:00 - we finally got to rest…for a minute till the nurses think they needed to come back in. I slept in the rocking chair because Brock needed to be held. Plus he had so many cords he got tangled every time he rolled over.
Sunday night we had a friend who was coming to Salt Lake, who was able to bring us clothes and stuff from our house. He also brought balloons because his family owns the cute little country store here so he got hooked up with balloons on a Sunday. Plus our wonderful Relief Society sent all sorts of snacks and drinks. Its so nice to have people who care about you. We received so many blessings threw this whole thing but that will be another post. My mom and sister Katie kept our kids. It was so nice of them to take good care of them. I never worried about how or where they were because they were in good hands. My mom and sisters brought Garrett and Leah down on Monday night to see their brother. And to be honest Josh was going through major withdrawals from them. Sadly I was liking a break. I know its terrible but sometimes a break from your everyday life, and responsiblities is nice. We ended up staying til Tuesday morning.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am so happy that Brock is ok. Thank heavens for doctors & nurses. Do they know why this happened? Uncle Den has his intestine twist every so often, and he just has to lay on his side & try to relax in order for them to un-twist. If they don't relax then he will have to have surgery. This is a by product of the gastric-by-pass. We will put your names on the temple prayer list for safe measure.

    Love you all tons. Aunt Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary Jill. I am so glad everything is ok. It is great to have family around when those emergency's happen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor sweet, sweet baby. Oh how awful for you. I would have just cried and cried. I hope he recovers well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very scary! Poor Brock. I'm keeping you all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill that is what happened to Daniel when he came home from the hospital his lower intestine got sucked up into the upper intestine. He was only 5 lbs and they did surgery on him by opening him up all the way from his neck to his manhood. So they have come along way in the last 30 years. He doesn't have a belly button.

    Love Aunt Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jill, what a stressful scary weekend! It's so hard to see a baby suffer through that when they don't know what's going on! You just want to hold them and tell them you're sorry. I'm glad everything is ok now. Did they mention this could act up again or anything? Good luck nursing him back to health! I'm glad he isn't mobile yet or he'd be miserable! We'll keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo sad. I am glad he's okay. That must have been seriously hard for all of you. Poor little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jill! I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like! SO glad that he is doing better and that he is home. What a blessing to have family and such a great support system surrounding you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I've been keeping posted via facebook and Julie's texts to Katie. Is everything good now? And whose house is that in your title photo? Are you guys building? Hope Brock gets better quick!

    ReplyDelete